Artist: The Yardbirds
Title: Making Tracks
It‘s hard-to-beat this superb set when it comes to savouring the ultimate Yardbirds touring experience.
Recorded live on tour in the United States between 2010 and 2011, ‘Making Tracks’ features 19 songs including The Yardbirds’ hits “For Your Love”, “Five Long Years” and “Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor” together with later numbers. Original members Jim McCarty (drums) and Chris Dreja (rhythm guitar) are in fine form along with lead guitarist Ben King, vocalist Andy Mitchell and bassist Dave Smale.
Stream and Buy from major sales platforms via this link
Formed in 1963 by McCarty, Dreja, Andy Topham, Keith Relf and Paul Samwell-Smith, the band was inspired by American blues artists such as Sonny Boy Williamson, Howlin’ Wolf and Bo Diddley, soon taking on the trappings of psych and pop that were to shoe in a string of hits in the mid-1960s, including “For Your Love”, “Over Under Sideways Down” and “Heart Full of Soul”.
A super-group incubator if ever there was one, the band is notable for kick-starting the careers of three of rock’s most famous guitarists: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page.
“One of the most important bands of the Rock and Roll era … quickly becomes apparent this line-up is not to be taken lightly.”
Blinded by Sound
“A must purchase for all Yardbirds fans or anyone with an interest in the 60s Brit blues scene.”
Blues in Britain Magazine
“…catches a scorching blues-rock groove and holds onto it with a white-knuckle determination.
Nearly 50 years in, the Yardbirds sound much as they always have: There’s just as much blues here as there is boom.”
“A well-timed release as the band, to which British rock music owes so much, celebrated 50 years in the business”.
The Beat Magazine
“A good showcase for the ‘Birds’ modern incarnation…”
Classic Rock Presents Blues Magazine
“The Yardbirds were able to jump from straight blues inspirations to pop chart success to wildly experimental recordings.
Along the way, the group helped create the basis for much of what rock and roll would sound like in the following decade.”
Ultimate Classic Rock
- I’m Not Talking (Live) (Mose Allison) 03:10:00
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor (Live) (James Stanley McCarty/James Patrick Page) 02:56:00
- Drinking Muddy Water (Live) (Chris Dreja/James Patrick Page/James Stanley McCarty/Keith Relf) 03:58:00
- Lost Woman (Live) (Chris Dreja/James Stanley McCarty/Jeff Beck/Keith Relf/Paul Samwell-Smith) 03:21:00
- Heart Full of Soul (Live) Graham Gouldman) 02:33:00
- My Blind Life (Live) (Chris Dreja) 04:32:00
- Train Kept A-Rollin’ (Live) (Chris Dreja/James Patrick Page/James Stanley McCarty/Jeff Beck/Keith Relf) 03:48:00
- Shapes of Things (Live) (Paul Samwell-Smith/Keith Relf/James Stanley McCarty) 02:48:00
- The Nazz Are Blue (Live) (James Stanley McCarty/Keith Relf/Paul Samwell-Smith) 04:15:00
- Mystery of Being (Live) (James Stanley McCarty) 04:04:00
- Five Long Years (Live) (Eddie Boyd) 05:32:00
- Think About It (Live) (James Stanley McCarty/James Patrick Page/Keith Relf) 02:41:00
- Over Under Sideways Down (Live) (Chris Dreja/James Stanley McCarty/Jeff Beck/Keith Relf/Paul Samwell-Smith) 03:53:00
- Crying Out for Love (Live) (James Stanley McCarty) 04:11:00
- Smokestack Lightning (Live) (Chester Burnett) 06:48:00
- For Your Love (Live) (Graham Gouldman) 03:12:00
- Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (Live) (Keith Relf/James Stanley McCarty/James Patrick Page) 02:59:00
- Dazed and Confused (Live) (Jake Holmes) 05:48:00
- I’m a Man (Live) (Ellas McDaniel) 06:43:00
Tracks 10, 14 performed at Showcase Live – Foxboro MA, USA om 28 May 2010
Tracks 2, 4, 8, 12, 15, 18, 19 performed at Downtown Concert, Springfield, MA, USA on 1 September 2011
Tracks 1, 13, 17 performed at Infinity Music Hall, Norfolk, CT, USA on 2 September 2011
Tracks 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 16 performed at Tupelo Music Hall, Londonderry, NH, USA on 4 September 2011